April 1, 2016
EcoBurrito is a "community-conservation restaurant" located near the edge of Kibale National Park in Bigodi Village, Kamwenge District, Uganda. Founded by chimpanzee researchers, the vision is that all profits go to environmental and community conservation projects (www.ecoburrito.com).
We are looking for a Project Manager to oversee all aspects of EcoBurrito with a focus on marketing and restaurant management. The position will also include primate conservation education initiatives in the community. The Project Manager is expected to maintain the vision of EcoBurrito, but will be working autonomously (keeping the Director regularly updated, but making most decisions independently). The Project Manager will collaborate with the Restaurant Manager, the Financial Officer, and the Advisory Committee who are all based in Uganda. The Director will spend 3 weeks training the Project Manager on site, but is based in the United States.
· Marketing (e.g. contacting tour companies, liaising with tourists & local businesses)
· Overseeing and managing staff (chef, restaurant manager and cashier)
· Organizing and implementing systems for inventory, receipts, and other finances
· Acting as cashier, receptionist, and prep cook on an as-needed basis
· Guaranteeing hygiene standards and kitchen/storeroom organization
· Innovating other ideas to improve EcoBurrito and increase business
· Interviewing, hiring, and training new staff as needed
· Making staff and operational activities self sufficient
Community and conservation work include:
· Helping with conservation education activities at local primary schools (e.g. https://kyakagunga.wordpress.com/)
· Organizing trips for children to learn about monkeys on the Bigodi Wetland Walk
· Initiating other primate conservation/education projects in the local area (e.g. making music videos about eco-tourism, organizing primate pub trivia, etc.)
· The successful applicant must be responsible, organized, patient, motivated, innovative, friendly, and able to work independently.
· EcoBurrito is located in Bigodi Village, Kamwenge District, Uganda (about a one-hour drive from Fort Portal). The successful applicant must be able to live happily in a remote and rural setting. Thus, previous work in rural environments and the developing world is much preferred.
· Managerial or some form of leadership experience required
· Restaurant experience (ideally as a manger or chef)
· Experience with web design, social media, and marketing
· Interest in primates, conservation, and food
A small stipend of $60/month will be provided, which is comparable to what the current EcoBurrito staff receive; stipend is negotiable depending on experience.
EcoBurrito will cover the costs of a one-way airfare to Entebbe, Uganda (up to $900). Upon successful completion of the job (minimum of 10 months), EcoBurrito will cover the costs of return airfare (up to $1,000). Work-related costs, including visa and necessary transportation will be covered, as well as a modest accommodation.
As with other staff, the Project Manager can have one complementary burrito for lunch each day.
EcoBurrito opened in May 2015, and is thus still new and has potential to grow. The Project Manager will be able to bring his or her own creativity to this project, and will work collaboratively with the Director to carry out the vision. The Project Manager will also have opportunities to carry out side projects related to his or her interests, which the Director will facilitate to the best of his ability.
Term of Appointment:
One year (minimum of 10 months), with options to renew pending performance of the Project Manager and status of the restaurant. We hope to fill the position by May 2016, but the contract period may begin as soon as the position is filled.
Although we will prioritize applicants interested in the yearlong position, we may have positions for volunteer summer internships. The responsibilities would be similar, but for 2-3 months in the summer, with the option for doing an independent project. Please send an email for more information.
IF INTERESTED, PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Founder & Director, EcoBurrito